Gooseberry Pickle | How to make gooseberry pickle | Spicy Kitchen2012-03-01
- Yield: 1
- Servings: 10
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Ready In: 40m
Healthy and tasty pickle made with gooseberry
Gooseberry pickle recipe. It is one of the most healthiest vegetable perfect for making pickle. Because the nutrition of gooseberry will not loose after any processing. We will get the same health benefits when we eat the fresh gooseberry or the pickle,salted one,candy or in any forms. I have already posted easy gooseberry pickle. This recipe is the easy traditional version and we are not using garlic and ginger. So no need to refrigerate this pickle. But in this gooseberry pickle we are using ginger and garlic which makes the pickle some more healthy. Hope you all will like this recipe.
Health Benefits of Gooseberry
- Gooseberry is high in vitamin C
- It enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart.
- Gooseberry helps the urinary system, good for the skin, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens the eyes
- Gooseberry improves muscle tone and it acts as an antioxidant
- Gooseberry contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex.
- Gooseberry strengthens heart muscles. So heart pumps blood flawless throughout the body.
- Gooseberry is used in many hair tonics. It enriches hair growth and hair pigmentation. It strengthens roots of hair , maintains color and luster.
- Improving appetite: Consuming Gooseberry powder with butter and honey before meal improves appetite.
Other Pickle recipes
2.pomelo fruit pickle
4.Easy gooseberry pickle
5.Instant apple pickle
6.Bilimbi pickle | irumban pickle
Tender mango pickle
8.Dried bilimbi pickle
10.Gooseberry pickle | nellikka achar
How to make gooseberry pickle
1 kg of Nellikka (Gooseberry)
2 tbsp. of Chilli powder
1 spn. of Turmeric powder
20 cloves of Garlic
3 tbsp. of chopped ginger
10 no of Green chilli
A handfull of Curry Leaves
1/2 spn. of Asafoetida
1 spn. of Fenugreek Seeds
2 spn. of Mustard seeds
2 tbsp. of Sesame oil
Salt to taste
Wash gooseberries and steam them for 5-10 mins until they are just soft enough to press them open.
Remove the seeds.Cut in to small pieces
Crush garlic,ginger and green chilli and keep aside.
Fry Asafoetida and half of fenugreek seeds in oil.cool it and make a fine powder.
Heat oil in a pan.
Splutter mustard seeds,remaining fenugreek seeds and curry leaves
Add crushed mix and saute well till raw smell goes off.
Add Asafoetida,fenugreek powder,redchilli powder,turmeric powder,salt and saute for a minute.
Add gooseberry and mix well.Just keep 1 minute in flame
Remove from fire and allow it to cool.keep for 1 hours and then use
As we use very less oil and no vinegar, it is better to keep in fridge after one or two days.