Malabar Chicken Dum Biryani | how to make chicken dum biriyani | Spicy Kitchen2014-11-20
- Yield: 1
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Ready In: 45m
Traditional Malabar Chicken Dum Biryani
Malabar Chicken Dum Biryani is a very famous main course of Indian cuisine. Biriyani is a spicy and flavorful rice dish enriched in different spices and onion – tomato masala. India is famous for different varieties of biriyanis like Hyderabadi biriyani, Ambur biriyani, Thalasseri biriyani, Sindhi biriyani etc.
In Kerala preparation of biriyani varies in places to places. Here I would like to share the recipe of Malabar chicken dum biriyani. Mughlai cuisine had a significant influence upon Malabar recipes. Hence you can find lot of similarities in almost all the dishes. Malabar side dishes are very spicy and famous for its variety in preparation of non-vegetarian dishes.
Malabar chicken dum biryani takes a bit of time and effort but the result is worth it tastes heavenly. Hope you all will like this Malabar chicken dum biriyani. Please try it out and let me know how it turned out for you.
I have already posted some delicious biryani recipes like
malabar chicken dum biryani
pressure cooker mutton biriyani
malabar fish biriyani
You can also check for rice recipes collection and 21 chicken recipes collection here.
How to make Malabar chicken dum biriyani
1/2 kg of Rice(Basmati,Jeerakashala,sona masoori etc…)
1/2 kg of Chicken
1/2 kg of Onion
1/2 kg of Tomato
3 tbsp. of Ginger garlic paste
3 tbsp. of Chilli powder
2 tbsp. of Coriander powder
1 spn. of Turmeric powder
2 spn. of Garam Masala
1/4 ltr of Curd
1/2 of Lemon
A handful of Coriander leaves
A handful of Mint leaves
Malabar Chicken Dum Biryani Preparation Method
- 1 S of chilli powder.
- 1 S of turmeric powder.
- 1 S of garam masala.
- 1 TS of ginger garlic paste.
- 5 TS of curd.
- 1 TS of vinegar
- 1 S of cornflour.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with hands.
- Marinate chicken pieces with this mix.Keep in refrigerator for 2 hour.
- Wash rice,soak in water for 15 minute and drain.Keep aside
- Heat Ghee/Oil in a thick bottom vessel
- Add 2 medium sized cinnamon,3 bay leaves,3 no of cardamom
- Add finely sliced onion,cashews,raisins and fry till golden brown color.
- Add water and add rice when it starts to boil.(For 1 cup of rice,take 1 1/4 cup of water(Quantity may vary depends on rice.Or you can drain the rice))
- Cook the rice until 3/4 th is done. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chicken pieces.Cover lid of pan and fry in low flame(Need to fry around 15 minutes).Mean time you can prepare masala.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add 4 TS of ginger garlic paste.Saute well till the raw smell goes off
- Add sliced onion.Add little salt and fry well.
- Add tomatoes.Saute for 2-3 minute.Add all the spices.Again Saute till tomatoes became mushy.
- Add fried chicken pieces and mix well.Add required salt,lemon juice and curd,half of coriander leaves and mint leaves.Mix carefully.
- Cook until chicken is tender(cook 2-3 minute in low flame).
- Dilute a pinch of saffron in 1 spn. of water.Keep aside
- Heat 1 s of ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add chicken masala on the bottom layer first
- Add Rice on the top of chicken masala. Sprinkle chopped coriander and mint leaves
- Place alternate layers of chicken and rice
- Also put coriander leaves,mint leaves alternatively.
- Now sprinkle saffron solution, remaining garam masala powder and ghee in between the layers and on the top
- Carefully end it with the rice layer topped with coriander leaves and mint leaves
- Place a few knobs of ghee, fried onion, cashew nuts and kismis on the surface.
- Cover and seal the pot with an aluminum foil or maida paste(make a paste with all purpose flour(maida)and water)
- Cook it further on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with vegetable rait and pappadam 🙂 .